The title says it all, because this pasta salad is one helluva crowd pleaser. I first made it this last winter for a day trip with friends up in Napa. The weather was chilly but the salad made me dream of warm summer days and picnics galore. So when my mom asked me what she should make for a picnic with girlfriends this was the very first thing that came to mind. Apparently it was a hit because she made it again for my aunts for dinner this week. I don’t blame her…it’s that good…so I made it too. Now it’s your turn, enjoy!
- 1 package fusilli pasta (gluten free for me)
- 3 tablespoons pesto (remember this post, I used the extra pesto I had stored in the freezer)
- 1 package (4 links) of sausage, sliced and browned in a pan
- 1/2 cup sun-dried tomatoes (in oil), chopped
- 1 cup kalamata olives, pitted and sliced
- 1 cup fresh spinach, chopped (I add 2 cups to make sure and get my greens)
- 1/2 cup feta cheese
Cook pasta while sausage slices brown in pan. Let both cool slightly once done. Combine all ingredients in a bowl and mix together until well combined, serve immediately as it is best served and enjoyed at room temperature.
The full menu I suggested to my momma for her special lunch…
- Pasta Salad with Olives, Spinach & Sausage
- Melon wrapped in prosciutto and/or fresh cherries
- Grilled veggies antipasti and/or sugar snap peas blanched then drizzled with olive/toasted sesame/or truffle oil and sea salt
- Brown butter rice krispy treats